Tuesday 11 February 2014

Love, Marriage, Relationships, Music.

I found 'Talking in Bed' an interesting poem and it is also one of my favourite poems by Larkin along with 'Broadcast', 'Love Songs in Age' and 'For Sydney Bechet'. I have always preferred reading poems about such topics as I feel like everyone can easily relate to poem just like these and also because it is something in life that we all experience at some point.

However, the first impression I get just by the title of 'Talking in Bed' is that it is a love poem but in fact it isn't a poem that is just about enduring love, but it is a poem that explores if a loving relationship really is true. It can be said that this poem speaks about the complexities involved in relationships, specifically in reference to true love's failure to withstand the test of time. In the last line of the poem, the persona is questioning whether true love is even the foundation of relationships at all and the persona's ambiguity is reinforced when he uses nouns such as "unrest", "none", "nothing" and "silently". This gives me the impression that the persona is bored of the relationship and although he enjoys the fact that he can fall back on his relationship for stability, he feels his love has gone stagnant.

On the other hand, this reminds me of how we open up so freely and deeply when we feel at ease and so in tunes with the other person thoughts are shared fears are calmed emotions flow easily and become even closer and more intimate. 'Talking in Bed' is a poem that represents unity between two people and a symbol of honesty for me and I found it clever and very typical of Larkin to bring a sense of movement which mirrors the talker's view of the world in relation to themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment